Englebry´s Ice wagon brought ice to the peoples in the early 20th century. They used the ice to keep things fresh during warm months. The early Refridgerators are morely Ice boxes - wooden insulates cabinets ,packed with ice to keep the items fresh. No electric fridges! Therefore they had the ice wagon, travel through the streets and selling blocks of ice.
Of all the public buildings in Vermilion, Ohio there is perhaps none of more historical worth than Vermilion's Township Hall. That value far exceeds any monetary/real value of the property. And no small part of the reason for this is the fact that after 122/123 years "It's still all there: The offices, the voting room, the Opera House; and the memories". Those memories began in the year 1878 when the Ohio Legislature passed a bill authorizing Township Trustees to erect a town hall in the Village of Vermilion. In the Spring of 1882 a majority of villagers voted in favor of building the hall, and a site on the corner of South and Grand Streets was purchased for that purpose. However; due to the fact that "a majority of Township people favored a site nearer downtown" another property was purchased from Jacob Nieding and Vermilion Village early in 1883. It lay just west of the Public Square and north of Ohio Street. Township Trustees at the time were: F.C. McConnelly, N. Fischer, and Jesse Ball. Columbus, Ohio architects, Terrill and Morris, drew up the initial plans, and local builder B.S. Horton was awarded the construction contract. Of six bids for that contract his was the lowest. It was $12,500. On August 1st of 1883 construction of the Vermilion Township Hall commenced. By November 1st the Erie County Reporter stated that the building had begun to take on an "attractive appearance". On the 22nd the roof was completed. And on the 29th the land around the new building was graded for a sidewalk that would be laid along the Ohio Street part of the structure. In early December a heating apparatus had been installed in the northwest room of the building and was operational. On December 20th it was announced that St. Mary’s Church would be the first organization to rent the hall to be used for a fair. On Tuesday evening, January 22, 1884 public dedication services of Vermilion's newly constructed Town Hall were held. An estimated 10 to 12 hundred well wishers from the village and adjoining towns attended. After speeches by local politicians, three tableaux were performed by local men and women on the Opera House stage. Later in the eve folks danced in the voting room to music provided by the Great Western Band until the wee hours (4 a.m.) of the following morning. The crowd was said to be so large that many in attendance were unable to dance. This experience led more than a few folks to opine that the building should have been twenty or thirty feet longer - a detail which, however insignificant it may seem is, nonetheless, quite extraordinary (historically). In any case, for the next 50 years the Vermilion Town Hall served as the literal hub of village political and social life. With a seating capacity of 352, and a Gallery capacity of 111 more than a few medicine shows, minstrel shows, lectures, plays, high school graduations, wedding receptions, and numerous other civic sponsored productions took place on the 2nd floor Opera House stage. Sundry items necessary for these productions were often hoisted by cable to the back stage door on the west side of the building. The first floor featured a council chamber, trustees' hall, voting room, dressing room, kitchen, dining room, court room, and a jail replete with six bunks. Most of these rooms, although modified for various purposes through the years, remained in active use until 2005 when township offices were moved to a new facility. Best of all it was all "paid for". Total cost for the entire finished project - property site, building construction, furnace, seats/chairs, landscaping, chandeliers, coal oil lamps, frescoing, grading, grate for office, one half cistern, sidewalks, and architects - had come to a whopping total of $16,805. For a little village of 1,090 people t'was a monumental, but very worthy, project. Moreover; the Vermilion Town Hall, as previously stated, remains much the way it was almost 125 years later. It is all still there: The offices, the voting room, and the 2nd floor Opera House. House. From an article written by Rich Tarrant which appeared in the Vermilion Photojournal 4-27-06
We just found the Website going Offline, but it was such interesting for us that we kept it working, but we are sorry we do not have such nice pics.The most Pics we got are from wikipedia.One Thing we found through the Internet was this lovely Videoclip
Sponsoring Ads:Frauen kennenlernen